Re: [OM] How large a print can be made

Subject: Re: [OM] How large a print can be made
From: "Bob Whitmire" <rlw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 08:53:57 -0400
>> I have received back some landscapes I shot on Velvia with various Zuiko
>> primes on a tripod. What is the received opinion on how big these can be
>> printed before grain (or whatever) starts to take its toll?

Gallery quality? 11x14 is about as high as you can go. And that's with a lab
doing a good scan and printing on a CSI Lightjet printer. The results can be
stunning. (I think with some of the newer film scanners and Epson printers high
quality in the 11x14 range is also possible.) I've had a few full-frame 16x20s
done (Actually about 12x20, I think, because they were full frame), and they
are a little grainy. Okay when viewing from a distance, which is how you ought
to view something that size anyway, but not so good up close. The 16x20s from
my Fuji 6x9 rangefinder blow the 35mm away (duh!).

--Bob