Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3363

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3363
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 14:51:48 -0700
Sounds like an interesting comparison test. Since I'm close by, I'd be happy to lend you a 50/1.8 miJ or two for your tests. I also have a 50/1.4 >1,100,000, the latest formulation. These should certainly be better lenses than the old SC 1.4. In all fairness, your 1.4 was designed at least 30 years ago. Of course, even the newer ones are probably over 10 years old. I also have a Carl Zeiss Jena 'T' coated 50/2.8 Tessar, probably from the 50s, but no P42 to Oly adapter.

Isn't the Contax a 35mm lens? You might also want to compare it to an Oly 35mm. Unfortunately, I only have the 35/2.8, not the later, reputedly better, 35/2.

Based on Gary's tests, it seems more than mirror lock-up is needed to separate lens quality from possible vibration effects. If you don't have an Oly that does mirror and aperture pre-fire, I have an OM-2000 you could borrow too.

Moose

Stephen Scharf wrote:

Interesting comments - Do you think the T3's Carl Zeiss' lens is just way better than most (Zuiko) lens, or do you think other factors are involved, e.g. that it being a point and shoot, it has no mirror and no vibration?

You know, Richard, that's a very good question, and one that will bear some "scientific" experimentation... I will look into setting up such an experiment, comparing it to my 50mm f/1.8 (not a Made in Japan one, unfortunately. If someone wants to loan me one, I will try that out, too) on a tripod and with mirror lock-up.