Re: [OM] Without a lens cap

Subject: Re: [OM] Without a lens cap
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 15:39:04 -0700
Every time a lens without a rear cap is pushed/dropped into the case, air carrying dust, dust mites, mold/fungus spores, etc. is forced up into the interior of the lens. I would pass on such a lens even though the rear element of the 135/2.8 is recessed enought that direct contact with the bottom of the case is not likely.

Moose

Pete Prunskunas wrote:

I had a discussion with an ebay seller.  He told me that he never
used a lens cap on the lens, but simply put the lens back into an
Olympus hard case.  The lens was a 135mm f2.8 and the case
was for a 135mm f3.5.  I suspect the lens would not have fit into
the case with the lens cap, as the f2.8 version is a little longer
than the f3.5 version.  Am I being paranoid or does this sound
like a practice that might lead to a scratched rear element from
dust or dirt embedded in the bottom of the case?