Re: [OM] Shuddering over 100/2.8 (was: 135mm f3.5 better than tests show

Subject: Re: [OM] Shuddering over 100/2.8 (was: 135mm f3.5 better than tests show?)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 16:08:19 -0700 (PDT)
> AG, is your treasured 100mm f2.8 lens SC or MC?

SC.  The serial number is 1306xx.

For some reason, this particular sample just does it for me.
The warmth, color, bokeh and sharpness all conspire to be an
extremely effective lens in my arsenal.

Also, it happens to be the very first Zuiko I bought many years
ago...  But THAT has nothing to do with it, I'm sure.

We've talked before about the variations in the 100/2.8 lenses,
but I've encountered no other lens--of this or any other focal
length which just has a magic to it that brings a photo alive.

I wouldn't call this lens accurate, or technically perfect.
Maybe it has an artistic something to it that just reeks
atmosphere.  Regardless, I can spend a lot of time trying to get
a "perfect" shot of something and it just won't work.  I put the
100/2.8 on and it instantly works.  Go figure.

By the way, lightening does strike twice.  Thanks to the
generosity of a list member, a 35/2.8 (SC, silvernose) came into
my possession.  This lens does in wide-angle what my 100/2.8
does in telephoto.  If worse came to worse, I'd get rid of all
lenses but keep these two.  I regretted getting rid of my
original 35/2.8 and I've felt like I've come home again.

Some lenses exhibit a steril, hyper-accurate characteristic to
them which leaves me wanting.  I believe that the earlier Zuikos
were designed to meet a different set of criteria than the later
versions.  Flare control is improved with the MC lenses and they
may be a bit sharper, but I'm perfectly content with my SC
lenses as they produce pictures that need no defence.

AG B-List Schnozz