Re: [OM] SC Vs. MC, a new and devastating thread .... not

Subject: Re: [OM] SC Vs. MC, a new and devastating thread .... not
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 07:39:20 -0500
At 02:50 AM 5/14/2002 +0000, you wrote:
I have discovered that my 50mm 1.8 is a garden variety
SC ("F.ZUIKO"). But I take heart knowing it is a garden
variety ZUIKO.

I also have a 50mm 1.4 MC.

I get the feeling that instead of selling one or the
other of these lenses, that I should learn what the
differences are and possibly use that to my advantage.

How do I do this? I know I can check for color (warm vs.
cold) by looking at a white object. (I actualy have one
handy. The LBJ Library is white.) What are good tests
for other things? What other things should I look for?

Here's what I would do:

1) Load some slide film. I'd probably use Sensia II, Elitechrome, or Kodachrome if I could stand the wait. I think this is important. You have to be able to see what you're really getting, verify that the exposure was right on, compare contrast, etc. But this means you need minimally a light bench and a loupe.

2) Go to a familiar place where you have spent some pleasant photographic time before. Go on a good photographic day (whatever that means to you). Shoot subjects that have significance to you. I.e., these are tests, right, but shoot for keepers. Use a tripod if you have one. Focus carefully. Keep meticulous records not only of the exposure itself but how you focused and what you expect to and hope to see in the resulting frame. Shoot at least one 1/2 stop bracket to either side. 2/3 stop brackets are OK if your camera has the exposure comp dial and you are using an E6 film.

3) Try to test the entire aperture range of the lenses. Test f11 and/or f16 but also f5.6 (you'll use this stop a lot with slower film and people shots) and even wide open, or say, f2 for comparison sake. Try to get some lovely shady trees in the background with a lighter subject in the foreground that you're focusing tightly on to see how you like the blur of the background, or shoot a large flower as close as possible at a medium stop to test the same thing.

4) Evaluate the resulting photos side by side on a light bench with loupe. Pick the fairest exposure from your bracket set in either case and put them together. Look at the highlights first. Are they holding? Is there clean white with texture? If not, is one of the brackets better? How does the rest of the slide look? Do you like the contrast and color in the rest of the frame? Is there better shadow detail? Is one sharper than the other?

Don't expect to see big differences, but you may be surprised at what you do see. This is something I need to do myself, so thanks for the inspiration.

Joel W.