[OM] Re: MC vs SC / 250/2 vs xxx

Subject: [OM] Re: MC vs SC / 250/2 vs xxx
From: "Alan" <atk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 May 2002 18:49:04 -0000
You know folks -- there is a whole lot more to technical quality of an
image than raw resolution. A very good example is (for example) the 250/2
lens (though the current SC vs MC thread is similar). If you use a 250/2
you might not get prefect resolution becauase of vibration, ... [you name
your favorite reason] but you will probably get a nicer image than with
a zuiko 300f4.5. Nicer how you might ask -- tonal separation, contrast,
clarity (not to be confused with resolution), ...

Would you notice the difference? Probably if viewed the slide side by side.

Shame Gary didn't add an "image quality" to his rating system....

Also - another issue (this is esp important for folks who like to quote
photodo ratings) - performance at infinity is NOT the same as at near focus.

I am fairly sure (for example) that the resolution of the 24f2.8 lens is
significantly less at infinity than at mid/near focus (at least in my sample).

Alan