[OM] Olympus OM-10

Subject: [OM] Olympus OM-10
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 12:34:39 -0700
"I have a daughter working in San Francisco and a guy in her office has
given her an OM-10 which 'lets light in'. Could some local OM'ers in that
city please recommend a repairer who could replace her [sic] seals? Also,
are the manual shutter speed devices readily obtainable?"

I strongly advise your daughter to perform the following three steps:

1. Find a trash can.

2. Position the camera over the can.

3. Release the camera.

The OM-10 is not junk, by any means. But a camera body that leaks light
almost certainly has something considerably worse wrong with it than just
deteriorated seals. This is unlikely to be a cheap repair.

You haven't given us any background. Why did she accept this broken camera?
Does she have other OM equipment and wants another body? In that case,
fixing this OM-10 might not be a bad idea.

Or is she just getting into serious photography? If so, she shouldn't be
buying a camera from a discontinued system. What's going to happen when she
wants more lenses or needs an accessory?

Which brings us to the manual shutter-speed adapter. They occasionally show
up on eBay, but not too often. I'd recommend calling some used-equipment
stores, such as KEH.