Re: [OM] Olympus OM-10

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus OM-10
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 18:36:13 -0500
> ...a camera body that leaks light
> almost certainly has something considerably worse wrong with it than just
> deteriorated seals. This is unlikely to be a cheap repair.

Actually, just the opposite is true -- to someone who knows the camera.  True,
many early OM-10's had light leak problems, but I've only seen one in ten years
or more that hadn't had these problems corrected.  In all likelihood, the
problem is that the foam along the hinge inside the back cover has slipped --
this is fairly common on OM-10's and OM-G's -- an "easy fix".

> ...is she just getting into serious photography? If so, she shouldn't be
> buying a camera from a discontinued system. What's going to happen when she
> wants more lenses or needs an accessory?

This may come as a surprise, but while some may have been lost or broken,
relatively few of the countless lenses built to work on every OM-system camera
for the past 25+ years have been absconded with by aliens.  They are available
in every price- and quality-range, and will be for years to come.  In fact, I
would bet that there are more lenses available for the venerable OM mount than
are available for _any_ "not-yet-discontinued" AF-system camera on the market
today.  Yearly sales of interchangeable-lens AF cameras (C*n*n, N*k*n, etc.,
who deem it necessary to change mounts ever few years) are counted in the low
thousands (and have been for over a decade), with even fewer after-market
lenses being sold to fit them, while the OM mount hasn't changed in 25+ years.

A good, working OM-10 is an excellent learner's camera, more rugged and
dependable than almost anything available "new/not-yet-discontinued" (most of
them being "throw-aways", after all).