Re: [OM] World Superbikes Round Silverstone

Subject: Re: [OM] World Superbikes Round Silverstone
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 17:07:41 -0700
Andy, I defer to Stephen's bike shooting wisdom since I have never shot
a motorcycle race in my life (though that may well change on the World
Superbikes weekend at Laguna Seca this year).

Both lenses you mentioned (the 200 and 300) would be good choices. I
don't know how close you can get to the track at Silverstone, but
imagine not very since it is a F1 venue. Bring the extender ;-)

Stephen should be able to share what his shutter speeds were for his
bike shots, but I'm guessing around 1/125 for panned shots and 1/500 or
so for the others. (How close am I stephen?)

I shoot Provia F at ISO 100 pretty much exclusively. If it looks like
you're going to have poor light you may want to either push what you
brought, or bring some 400 film.

Unless you have a really big/heavy lens you really don't need a monopod
or tripod. I only use one with the 350/2.8, and that is mostly due to
the weight, not so much the focal length.

Beyond that? Smooth pans, follow through after your release point.
Pre-focus on your release point based on watching a few of the riders
pass through the spot so you know their lines. Practice. Maybe go to a
road and practice panning on cars passing by in advance (a digital
camera with instant review capability helps here a ton).

I hope this helps. Have fun!!!!

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com