Re: [OM] Dust in the lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Dust in the lens
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 20:48:26 -0600
At 08:34 PM 5/15/2002 -0600, Pete Prunskunas wrote:
>Maybe someone can explain this to me.  I take great care of
>everything I buy, including lenses.  I only own a few lenses -
>I am only a social Zuikoinker, not a raving Zuikoholic - but
>every one is crystal clear, with no fungus or dust inside.  Maybe
>I'm lucky.  But in many ebay ads, the description often states
>that there is "some" or "four or five speckles of" dust inside the
>lens.  Just how normal is it?  Is this a sign of unclean personal
>habits, or is it a case of "dust happens"?

Pete:

You're lucky.  In virtually all lenses which are not internal-focusing, the
lens tube moves in and out while you're focusing.  This in-and-out movement
either sucks air into the lens tube or blows it out.  Either way, eventually,
dust will enter.  It is impractical (and probably prohibitively expensive) to
completely seal lenses -- even the internal-focusing ones.  Of all the lens
surfaces, keeping the rear external lens face clean is probably the most
important.  The front external face comes a distant second (I have a
professional photographer buddy who never cleans the front elements of his
lenses), and the internal surfaces an even-more-distant third.

Garth

P.S.:  Dust between the elements (as long as there isn't a large amount)
doesn't do anything to your photos -- the images of the dust can never resolve.
 If there's a *lot* of dust, then you can see a decrease in contrast; if it's
light-coloured, an increase in flare (sometimes both together).