Re: [OM] Dust in the lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Dust in the lens
From: Charles Sdunek <csdunek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 23:06:51 -0400
> Pete:
>
> You're lucky.  In virtually all lenses which are not internal-focusing, the
> lens tube moves in and out while you're focusing.  This in-and-out movement
> either sucks air into the lens tube or blows it out.  Either way, eventually,
> dust will enter.  It is impractical (and probably prohibitively expensive) to
> completely seal lenses -- even the internal-focusing ones.  Of all the lens
> surfaces, keeping the rear external lens face clean is probably the most
> important.  The front external face comes a distant second (I have a
> professional photographer buddy who never cleans the front elements of his
> lenses), and the internal surfaces an even-more-distant third.
>
> Garth
>
> P.S.:  Dust between the elements (as long as there isn't a large amount)
> doesn't do anything to your photos -- the images of the dust can never
> resolve.  If there's a *lot* of dust, then you can see a decrease in
> contrast; if it's light-coloured, an increase in flare (sometimes both
> together).

I find it strange how little attention some pros pay to the cleanliness
of your lens.  I have a friend who shoots for national geographic and
other like magazines.  Has done wonderful work down in south america.
His photos are just beautiful.  He, being a friend and neighbor of my
wifes family offered to shoot my brother-in-laws wedding.  I was
flabbergasted by the condition of his equipments.  Lenses with dirt and
fingerprints on the front element...he doesnt seem to notice.  Funny
thing is, this stuff doesnt show up on the photos either (of course I
have not seen any significant enlargements of the wedding photos).  I
suppose the smears and fingerprints would soften the image a bit eh?

Charles