Re: [OM] Dust in the lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Dust in the lens
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 22:50:40 -0700
on 5/15/02 8:06 PM, Charles Sdunek at csdunek@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I find it strange how little attention some pros pay to the cleanliness
> of your lens.  I have a friend who shoots for national geographic and
> other like magazines.  Has done wonderful work down in south america.
> His photos are just beautiful.  He, being a friend and neighbor of my
> wifes family offered to shoot my brother-in-laws wedding.  I was
> flabbergasted by the condition of his equipments.  Lenses with dirt and
> fingerprints on the front element...he doesnt seem to notice.  Funny
> thing is, this stuff doesnt show up on the photos either (of course I
> have not seen any significant enlargements of the wedding photos).  I
> suppose the smears and fingerprints would soften the image a bit eh?
>
> Charles

As has been noted, unless there is a gross amount of dust or marks
sufficient to cause flare or contrast loss, it doesn't seem to make any
difference to the pros. One other factor is that if the image has the
subject content that the editor wants, the editors will look past the
defects caused by minor dust or fingerprints because the printing process
will necessarily degrade the image more than enough to make any differences
from 'no dust' to 'minor dust' unnoticable.

When images are printed they are 'screened' at a certain resolution i.e.
133lpi or 155lpi. This is better than newspaper printing, but nowhere near
the resolution where minor defects caused by 'a few specks of dust' will
become apparent. That's probably why your pro friend is unconcerned; if its
'good enough' it doesn't *have* to be any better... for him. He gets paid
anyway.

WE can be more picky... if we're shooting for projection, or exhibit in art
show, or just to print 13 x 19 from a high-quality inkjet these defects may
be noticable.
--

Jim Brokaw