Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) lens - AT-X 80-200 mm F-2.8 and Tamron 350mm mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) lens - AT-X 80-200 mm F-2.8 and Tamron 350mm mirror
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:28:15 +0200
Hi Moose

Re: your Tokina 35-200; is it the ATX f3.5-4.5, or the SD f4-5.6 ?  What is
your opinion of it?

Roger Key

                      dreammoose

                      <dreammoose@attbi.        To:
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      com>                      cc:

                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: [OM] Re: ( OM )
lens - AT-X 80-200 mm F-2.8 and Tamron 350mm mirror
                      owner-olympus@Zuik

                      o.sls.bc.ca

                      16-05-02 10:43

                      Please respond to

                      olympus

Was that 160GBP snipe you? I'd be sorry, but you already have one! I was
out and it was an automatic snipe through auctionstealer.

People pay that kind of money for a Tamron 350mm/5.6 mirror lens? I
think I thought I would be use minet more often that I actually do. It
isn't very flexible, so it doesn't end up in the bag, so it doesn't get
used.

I agree the Tokina will be a much more useful lens. I have the Tamron SP
equivalent and it's a great lens. I decided to try the Tokina for the
lower weight, smaller size and less intrusive, permanent tripod mount.
Gary's tests give the edge to the Tamron, but I'm not sure I will see
the difference in practical shooting and a lighter, smaller lens is a
lens I'm likely to use more often.

I think the price is OK, but not a great deal. After using his (clearly
stated) exchange rate and paying for airmail and insurance, it's more
like USD280. On the other hand, if I really like the lens, it will be
well worth it. I certainly prefer the Tokina 35-200 to the Tamron
35-210, handling is similar, but the Tokina is smaller and half a pound
lighter!

Moose