[OM] Multicoated X.Zuiko lenses

Subject: [OM] Multicoated X.Zuiko lenses
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 10:11:11 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I received this little email from Gary Reese and we thought that
it would be a good idea to post it to the list.  It addresses
some of what we know about lens coatings and the misleading
information that the SC/MC debate spews forth.  We must remember
that true single-coated lenses pretty well were discontinued in
the sixties and early seventies.  Most if not all Zuikos have
multiple coatings but it wasn't until Pentax took multi-coating
into their own marketing domain that it became an "issue".  I
remember magazine articles essentially saying "so what's new?"
at that time.  It became chic to put a green coating in there to
address the apparent shortcomings of the lens design.

It is hard to determine what the major differences are in the
coatings between some of the earlier Zuikos and the later ones
based on transmission/reflectance numbers.  Improved glass
manufacturing and grinding techniques could have been as much of
an improvement as coating changes.  Anyhoo, here is Gary's
email:

AG-Schnozz