[OM] Re: Digital Labs

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Labs
From: "Dave Dougherty" <davdou@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 07:38:36 -0700
C.H. Ling wrote
>you will found all the
shots are similar in color/contrast and sharpness. >

I am not at all knowledgable about the various techniques used in digital
labs.  Others on the list will be able to discuss this much better than I.
I took a few florals at the Japanese Garden.  The color of the flowers is
right on.  That the three lenses show slight color variations when shooting
the same subject suggests to me that the variations are being faithfully
rendered by the lab.

I do agree that the prints are very contrasty.  This can, of course, give
the impression of sharpness.  However, examination closeup shows that the
prints really are very sharp.  They are certainly much much better than what
I have been getting in the past.

I am going to take the Portra 160 I shoot to the pro lab to be done on their
digital machine.  Another list member has suggested that I discuss the use
of the "Unsharp" mask in their maching, which may contribute to visible
grain in prints.  I'll be interested to hear what they have to say.

Dave Dougherty