[OM] RE: Customs documents (OT)

Subject: [OM] RE: Customs documents (OT)
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 22:31:25 +1000
> thomas [mailto:T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> I am just wondering what anyone would stand to gain by falsifying
> such?

I'm not sure if this is the case, not having bought stuff from
overseas, but in Oz, there's tax payable on imported goods
(I could look up the web site, but it's 10pm on a Sunday night
and I'm too lazy-drunk-tired to bother <g>). I'm not sure
that 'falsifying' documents would necessarily help - customs
do open stuff (particularly food, funnily enough - got some
crazy States friends who like to send me chocolate, and my
dogs, biccies), and probably would do so if spying stuff like
that in the X-ray machine...maybe?

Some other Aussies (or Kiwis) with more experience might have
a better understanding.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz