Re: [OM] Customs Documents

Subject: Re: [OM] Customs Documents
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 15:06:01 -0700
Garth Wood wrote:

> At 02:02 PM 5/19/2002 -0700, Winsor Crosby wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >I thought VAT was value added tax.  What value is added when someone buys a
> >new lens and uses up part of its lifetime and then sells it?
>
> Silly rabbit.  It's the government artificially inflating the value by
> legislative fiat.
>
> *That's* the "value added" part.  ;-)
>
> (To make matters worse, in some cases, the Feds actually calculate the GST
> here in Canada *after* provincial or other taxes are added first, thus
> inflating the value of the GST beyond its legislated 7%!)

Not so I think. It's the other way around. Some provinces, Prince Edward
Island and Quebec included, accumulate all other taxes including GST
before levying their own provincial tax so you get provincial tax on
federal tax. Other provinces that levy their own provincial tax do not
levy it on that portion of the total price comprising the federal tax.
Alberta has no provincial sales tax at all but then who wants to live in
a province with eight months of winter ........ snow from October to
May! ...... only kidding Garth!