Re: [OM] Customs Documents

Subject: Re: [OM] Customs Documents
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 16:01:24 -0700
Yes, it's a wonderful system. By taxing at multiple levels, it greatly multiplies the paperwork over a simple sales tax, thus acting as an employment/economic activity booster. Only problems are that it raises operating costs all along the production/distribution chain, thus increasing the cost of things even before the tax, and increases the number of taxing authority workers, thus requiring more tax income. Then there are the secondary effects, the tree cutting, mining, oil use, air pollution, etc. etc. for the paper, desks, buildings, pencils, vehicles, computers, etc. etc. used by the people doing all that non-productive work on both the private and government sides.

Of course, all the additional costs and taxes do nothing to increase the value of those things that are taxed. Thus it will tend to raise the cost of living and/or lower the standard of living relative to those countries with lower taxes and/or lower collection/compliance costs. The former will also tend to run out of natural resources faster than the later, all other things being equal.

Voila ........ today's Econ. 101 lesson!

The nice thing about such taxes for USians like me is that I can file forms and get it back after I get back from foreign climes. Of course tourists here can't get sales tax back when they go home, but it is generall significantly lower.

Moose

John Hudson wrote:

Voila ...... today's accounting and tax lesson!