Re: [OM] Re: 35/70-3.6 vs 35/2 vs 28/48-4 LONG

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 35/70-3.6 vs 35/2 vs 28/48-4 LONG
From: "Dave Dougherty" <davdou@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 06:47:30 -0700
I will investigate the exact answer to this question and post it in a day or
two.  However, I suspect that other listees will weigh in on the subject.

I believe that the negatives are scanned as one would in a high end negative
or slide scanner.  The digital file is then printed to chemically developed
paper.  The result is a very sharp, archival print.

Many have shared my lament that the results from the minilabs in the past
have been poor to lousy.  The photos were not sharp and the color was
problematic.  There is a notceable difference in the prints I am getting
from the local labs using this new technology.  I recently took a photo of
my 7 mo old grandson.  I shot it with a Retina IIIc with the Schneider
Kreuznach 50mm/2 lens at 2.8 on Portra 400VC.  The resulting photograph is
extremely sharp.  You can count every eyelash.  The clothing texture and
stitching is extremely sharp.  I don't think this would have been the result
with the older technology.

Dave Dougherty