Re: [OM] Holy cow!

Subject: Re: [OM] Holy cow!
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 15:16:57 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, 20 May 2002, AG Schnozz wrote:

> > Did anyone alse notice the final price on this OM-2n?
>
> Consider it brand new.  Price is what you would expect to pay
> for an equivelent new Canon or Nikon body.

Probably you're about right.

> The question is, do you open it up and use it or keep it forever
> like that expensive bottle of wine that you don't want to risk
> opening because it's probably vinegar.  Does anybody actually
> eat fruitcake or do we keep them in the shrink-rap to give to
> somebody else the next year?

Hmm...if you're asking....

I've always personally bought gear with the purpose of using it up until
even John H and Clint (or their local counterparts) will have to give up
on it. Thus far, this has only happened once to an OM1 (the "defect" was
that it should be recovered from the bottom of a lake...) The only
expectation that I have which is different when buying something new or
used is, that the new part should have a longer lifespan than something
bought used.

Honestly, the OM system is not that great as paperweights :) It does
much better bouncing around taking pictures :)

So yeah, if I got my hands on a NIB OM2n, rest assured that I would rip it
open and use it intensively.

Which actually reminds me: anoyone (but John and Clint in particular) who
has seen an OM body litteraly "worn out". Not just with one or two broken
parts, or broken due to abuse, but genuinely worn out from pulling too
many films through it. To the point where all the mecanics is beyond
repair?

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering