Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 06:25:59 -0700 (PDT)
--- Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>  Now why couldn't Oly have done something like
> that
> >>  for the OM3/4Ti
> >>  till they were able to bring out the perfect
> digital
> >>  system camera -
> >  I would imagine that even if the R&D expense of
> such
> >a device were recoverable in sales(I'll bet Nikon
> and
> >Canon are in red ink with their digital bodies)why
> >would Olympus want any of us to keep their old
> system
> >instead of purchasing the new SLR digital set up
> they
> >say is coming out late this year. As I write this
> it
> >makes business sense but I find myself feeling
> bitter
> >against Corporate Olympus for not bringing out that
> >digital back!   go figure    John Robison
>
> The point I was making was that they have not come
> out with a
> replacement yet and they have telegraphed their
> discontinuance of the
> OM system for years. They could have sold some
> digital backs and
> telephotos in the meantime.  And if low volume
> Mamiya can make a
> profit on a digital back, the I am sure Oly could
> have too.
> --
> Winsor Crosby
> Long Beach, California
 I'm just thinking that with the lightning pace of
technology and falling prices it must be very hard for
ANY camera company to make a profit in this field at
this time. They (Olympus,Nikon,Canon,Pentax,and all
the rest)realise they must develop digital to survive
into the future but they all would have to be very
careful where they put the development money. In film,
it looks like medium format will survive longer than
35mm and interchangeable backs has been a longstanding
feature of professional MF systems, but even Nikon and
Canon didn't bring out digital backs for existing
bodies but instead are sticking with full digital only
bodies. I really agree with you that the need for
special lenses for these sensors is most likely
hightech hype, and is more marketing driven than real.
 regards   John Robison