RE: [OM] Holy cow! ( long, but not sorry)

Subject: RE: [OM] Holy cow! ( long, but not sorry)
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 15:44:17 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 21 May 2002, John W. Sloane, DMD wrote:

> Good Morning to all!!!
>
> I hope everyone is having as great a day as I am having so far, thanks
> for asking!

Morning John,

> In reviewing the comments made about my purchase last evening, I feel
> compelled to respond, as I think each and every one has some value and
> pertinence, as relative to eB*y trading, dentistry, prism rot,
> photography, relative value, etc...

<SNIP something about the economy of dental pratices>

> The foam is another of my main concerns here, and I hope the prizm is
> OK.  If need be, John H. will take care of it for me.  I hear he's real
> good at fixin' these things.
>
> Next, I AM a Zuikoholic, and I do not expect everyone else on this list
> to be one, or to understand all my motivation, but since all have chosen
> to comment, I feel free to comment back.  To many Pro Photographers, the
> equipment is just a "hammer" or tool.  Fine. Not to me, and not to many
> others on this list. I did what I chose to do, and maybe I will end up
> screwed, but I don't think so.  Maybe I am "only a nut" or "crazy" but I
> don't think so.  Maybe it won't be "worth it" but that is for me alone
> to decide. Maybe people who made disparaging comments are just jealous.
> I think so.

Just my 0.02 EUR on this....

John, you've managed to do what most of us probably secretly dream about:
getting a brand new piece of the finest equipment ever made. I, for one,
envy you. How you spend your ressources is entirely your business, as is
how you choose to use the gear. However I am happy for you that you've got
what seems to be a fairly good deal (it is, really, just think about it:
where would you go to get a cheaper NIB OM2??? - I thought so...).
Congratulations.

If I were in your shoes, with a new OM2 on my hands, I'd surely rip it out
of the shrink-wrap, check that it works and probably send it off to John H
or Clint anyways: mechanics that's been idle for that long may need some
caretaking before starting up.

Then, I'd surely start using it intensively. To me, the pleasure is in the
using of the equipment.

Some might choose to put it on display, seeking pleasure from the design
and beauty of the cameras unflawed design. Others may use it for different
purposes. However they're all equally valid in my book.

Whatever you choose to do, I tuely hope that you'll get a lot of pleasure
from this purpose.

And, as a true zuikoholic, I can only say "I wish it was me..." How's
that: being jealous and honest about it :)

--thomas

ps: John, promise to keep us updated on the camera when you get it.

> Have a great day,
> John
>
> jsloane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> John W. Sloane, DMD