Re: [OM] Re: Acer Scanwit and Monopods

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Acer Scanwit and Monopods
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:48:05 -0700
In a message dated 5/21/2002 Moose writes:

<< The Bogen 3232 does that. Simple, sturdy and cheap.  B&H listing
<snipped>...>>

I too am looking for a new monopod that does this (folds flat against
the body/lens combo. At Sears Point last weekend (sorry to miss you
there Stephen--Sunday was *very* wet, but the track dried over the
course of the race and it was a great race) I was looking at what
monopods others were using and it seemed most used Bogens. My old Gitzo
is slow to extend and retract the leg (twist locks instead of quick
releases that the Bogens have) and does not fold flat against the
body/lens combo for transport--my two gripes about an otherwise good
monopod.

Ideally I would like to find a monopod with a head like this (but
heavier duty) integrated on it--I suspect from what I have seen at the
track Bogen must offer such a thing. That head, BTW, is only rated for
5.5 pounds. If my body/lens combo weighed *only* 5.5 pounds I wouldn't
be bothering with a dang monopod! OM-4t, MD2 w/battery pack, 350/2.8 and
1.4XA converter (worst case weight I put on a monopod) must weigh at
least double that.

On the subject of slide scanners, I am sure with a bit of close out
shopping and or evilbay you can do much better than the Acer scanner
(thinking Mac compatibility and all) for not a whole lot of $. My slide
scanner (a Minolta QuickScan 35) is nothing to brag about, didn't cost
much, but guess what? Clients are pleased with the results (have a look
at page 11 of Vintage Motorsport issue number 2002/3 for example) and I
have made some beautiful prints off files it has made. No, it's not a
4000dpi, high dmax, modern scanner (and I do need to upgrade, I admit,
but it does the job at an acceptable level, can be found cheap (I paid
around $350.00 for it new off ubid.com over 2 years ago--and have seen
used ones on evilbay for far less since). I gather the best bargain in a
new slide scanner is the Can*n (something-2710 I think is the model). I
would stay away from Acer in a mac environment.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com