Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:47:32 EDT
If I understand you correctly, you may be confusing the idea of an add-on
digital back to an existing camera system, (which gives all sorts of
mechanical and electronic headaches to solve) to the Contax N1 digital
camera, which is a new product, specifically designed around the full-size
35mm frame.It must be a lot easier to design a digital body from scratch,
than to try to jam everything needed into an existing film camera body.
>From what I have heard, the Contax N1 Digital certainly works well. And,
since it was designed about the same time as the N1 film camera, The bodies
are nearly identical, if not downright identical in size, shape, and control
layout, and the two bodies use the same lenses. This has GOT to be a big
attraction to pros that shoot both film and digital. Time will tell.

George S.

gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

C.H.Ling Wrote:

Don't expect normal Contax 35mm system lenses can be used on this
digital camera, it only use the N1 series lens, that means you need to
redo from start even you own many Contax old lenses.

>> Yes, I see. However there has been much talk lately along the lines that
it isn't economical to have a CCD the size of a 35mm film, or the angle is
wrong or something.  Maybe I'm missing the point here, but surely what we
need is a CCD this size at the film plane.  Sure the electronics will take
up some room, but it CAN be done, right?  I just want the option of
capturing straight to digital using my OM gear.  If Olympus made it I'd even
buy it new!