RE: [OM] RE: [OM] WAAAY OT: poison-talk... (wasA RE: [OM] Bears, Water S

Subject: RE: [OM] RE: [OM] WAAAY OT: poison-talk... (wasA RE: [OM] Bears, Water Shots and vacations (long, sorry)
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 23:09:14 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 22 May 2002, Olaf Greve wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Actually, a fugu can be prepared (by specially trained chefs - the kind
> > you do not want to anger...) such that the majority of the poison is
> > removed and only enough is left in to, well..., numb your tounge and lips.
> >
> > Urban legend or not...it can be prepared such that is is harmless. However
> > if not correctly prepared it *will* kill....
>
> O.k., so that was the full story there.

;)

<SNIP>

> > Uhh...I am a little bit rusty on Hollywood science here. But I am sure
> > that it would have been picked up. Yet the effect of fugu liver is not a
> > complete paralysis, so simulation of death would not be efficient. However
> > being a somewhat paralysing, I don't think that even zombie-walking would
> > be possible.
>
> I believe it was pictured as that the drug would bring the body in a state
> that it appeared to be dead (as in: no vitals could be measured) and that
> the effect would last for a few days. After the effect wore off, in at least
> one of the two (I believe it was in Miami Vice), the person who underwent
> the treatment was left in such a state that he appeared zombie-like (not in
> the respect that his body was rotting, but in the way he walked and looked,
> etc).

Well, I am neither a fugu-liver-eater nor a toxiologist (sp?) but
according to what I know, evne when in paralysis the "victim" had some
mobility. Indeed, respitory and heart functions were functioning. Having
also met one who at some point had "enjoyed" (tried may be a better word?)
the toxication, I can testify that any zombie-like walking at least wears
off after a while.

> >> as well, on Discovery I once heard that adult males put their arm in
> boiling
> >> water to kill the pain of a centipede bite. Again: not _my_ picknick!!!
> :0
> >
> > Olafo, you watch waaaay too much tv :)
>
> Hey! How else am I supposed to know about all this stuff???? ;)))

Uhmm...yeah, you have a point there :)

Now.....I fail to come up with any related OM-content here. Sorry, I'll be
quiet now.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering