Re: [OM] OM Extension Tubes, Manual Vs. Automatic

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Extension Tubes, Manual Vs. Automatic
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 23:51:49 EDT
In a message dated 5/22/02 6:57:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> 1. focus with the lens set wide open, stop it down to shoot, hope you got
> the depth of field right and don't mess up the framing while stopping things
> down.

Automatic are easier to work with because you don't have to remember to stop
down, which is the major drawback to manual rings in my opinion.  I don't
understand your need to hope you got the depth of field right. The method to
test it would be the same with either tube . . . focus and then close it down
to see what you have in the way of depth of field.  Change in framing is
usually not an issue for most of my macro work (which is where I generally
use my tubes) as I am usually using a tripod.  Back in the old days not all
lenses were automatic and I owned some pre-set lens.  You would esentially do
this same exercise of focus and then stopping down. Manual is not as convient
as automatic and not as bad aas described.  My 2 cents worth.  Bill Barber