Re: [OM] If you're totally nuts...

Subject: Re: [OM] If you're totally nuts...
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 00:20:52 -0700
on 5/22/02 5:13 PM, Bill Pearce at bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> "The problem is that it requires human inspection, and only works with
> orthochromatic film, which can be visually inspected under red light. "
>
> Actually, this is quite possible with pan film. Kodak makes/made a special
> safelight filter just for this use. I did it some in the seventies, and
> realized that it's not very, well, exacting. It can, however, pull your
> you-know-whats out of the fire if you totally screw up the exposure.
>
> It's not something you do for fun.
>
> Bill Pearce

I thought that development by inspection, or at least development variation
to control contrast and latitude on the negative was a pretty standard part
of large-format work. Each sheet of film can in theory be processed for more
or less time, at its own unique temperature, even in different chemistry if
desired.

Still not enough to make me want to carry around a 4 x 5 setup...
--

Jim Brokaw