[OM] ( OM ) extension tubes ; manual or automatic

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) extension tubes ; manual or automatic
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 19:43:41 +1200
Ralph wrote;

> I'm sure this is a dumb question, but here goes.  What
> is the difference between manual and automatic
> extension tubes.  I've looked at the pdf manual for
> both, and I'm still not clear.

 As far as I know, the auto tubes contain mechanical linkages between the
lens on the one end and the camera on the other, so that the camera is
informed what aperture has been set in the lens.

Thus the user can get some indication in the view-finder what the exposure is
likely to be.

With the manual tubes (I've never handled any) I assume they are more or
less plain & simple tubes with no linkages.

HTH

Brian