RE: [OM] Did I get burned on the evil one?

Subject: RE: [OM] Did I get burned on the evil one?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 07:08:30 -0700 (PDT)
> How long can I go without cleaning the blade?

Aperture blades aren't the problem.  As long as they don't get
sticky, they should work indefinitely.  The problem is that the
oil could migrate to the glass causing hazing and spotting or
worse, get to the shutter blades.  Once the shutterblades are
affected it becomes a mandetory repair.

A TLR's aperture blades are a "preset" design, meaning that they
don't just close down during the exposure like they do in an
SLR, but stay closed down to whatever F-Stop you are using.

The sound is disconcerting to somebody used to an SLR. The
biggest problem I have with twins and rangefinder cameras is
that in noisy environments there is little to no audible
feedback as to when the shutter fired.  Some of the older ones
(Mamiya press cameras, for example) have a nice "TWANG", but
generally you're running by feel.  (the Olympus XA even takes
that away).

AG-Schnozz