Re: [OM] Did I get burned on the evil one?

Subject: Re: [OM] Did I get burned on the evil one?
From: "Mike Cormier" <ronaldcormier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:00:38 -0400
The late model Yashica D (you have the late model if it has a Yashinon Lens) is the Japanese version of a Roleicord. However, all Yashinon lens-ed Yashicas (including the MAT's) all have the same shutter. It's a copal shutter f3.5 with a Tessar lens design. This is the first time I've ever even heard of oily blades in a Yashinon... very odd.

The aperture does NOT have click stops. Only shutter speeds have this. The good news is that you've got a GREAT camera. the Yashinon for all intents and purposes is indistinguishable from a Zeiss Tessar 80/3.5... the lens element design is IDENTICAL. And the Yashica TLR (Personally I use a MAT EM over the Yashica D because I like the winding mechanism and rolling knob aperture & shutter speed design) is a very well priced and constructed camera. For probably less money than the Roleicord equivalent (including your purchase price) you could send it to Mark Hamma http://www.markhama.com/index.html and get it CLA'd (approx $90 US). I can pretty much guarantee it'll come back looking new. He does great work on TLR's (no connection).

Any camera over 20 years old should be CLA'd anyway, and Hamma cleans oil & lens fungus as part of a standard CLA.

Hope this helps.