[OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography

Subject: [OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:46:05 -0500
Last weekend I shot a local benefit concert held in a small club. My first "real" attempt at any form of concert photography. Used Tri-X at EI400 and had planned to use the 85/2 and 50/1.4 on an OM-2S. Based on "available light" references, normal stage lighting would allow f/2 or f/2.8 at 1/60th or 1/125th. Quickly learned their lights are not nearly as bright as other stages! Ended up using the 50/1.2 wide open and shooting everything at about 1/30th. Lesson learned: next time I'll have some TMax P3200 which can easily be used from its rated EI800 to Push 2 at EI3200. Then I can select the amount of push (if any) based on the lighting!

Yield wasn't horribly high, but did get some interesting photographs back. Scanned a few of the 4x6 proofs on a cheap flatbed and posted them here:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/benefitconcert/

IMHO, running available light is much, much, much better than using a flash! Now if I can get just a little more depth of field and a slightly faster shutter speed. <sigh>

Comments and any suggestions are most welcome.

Question:
I was thinking about trying some Ektachrome 320T (tungsten) at push 1 to EI640 for something like this. Has anyone pushed the tungsten 320T before, and if so how did it work out? Kodak's data sheet says nothing about pushing it which makes me suspicious about how amenable it is to being pushed.

Thanks,

-- John