Re: [OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography
From: "Mike Cormier" <ronaldcormier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:28:07 -0400
Having worked as a photojournalist in the past (actually why I got my first OM body... but that's another story) I've shot ALOT of concerts. If you check out my TOPE 5 entry, you'll see what an 800 speed film can do in low light.

In that case, I was in a pinch and used some Konica stuff, but generally I like using Portra 800NC. It's out there, although not that common a film. Try it... you might like it. In low light your tonal range is reduced enough that faster emulsions (like 800 ASA film) are more versatile.

Also, try using a longer lens, like a 135mm and shoot at around f5.6 or so. The longer the lens you use, the more "normal" the artist's facial features will look, and you will get better perspective on the instruments they are playing.

IMHO, the key to a great concert shot is to NOT USE A FLASH!!! Let the lighting techs at the concert do their job making the band look good & just shoot with available light. If using a 4T, spot meter the artist's face. If using an OM-2(n), just overexpose about 1 f-stop. BUT... I would recommend using Aperture priority for pretty much all concert work. Those guys are frisky on stage & lighting changes all the time. An OM-1 or 3 body would, IMHO, slow you down too much & limit your ability to capture the "right moment".

Hope this helps...

Mike Cormier