Re: [OM] Zuiko substitutes/bears/son Nick

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko substitutes/bears/son Nick
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 17:09:41 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko substitutes

> The 17/3.5 Tamron has arrived.  The Adaptall 2 even had a genuine
> Olympus rear lens cap on it.  Through the viewfinder, the w-i-d-e
> view looks great, just enough wider than the 21/2 Zuiko to be
> exactly what I've needed sometimes lately, and there appears to be
> no curvature toward the edges -- lines look straight as an arrow.
> Of course, a roll of test shots will tell the tale, but if it
> performs as well as the 28-105/2.8 Tamron, which has caused me to
> stop wanting a 35-80/2.8 Zuiko, then I won't regret one bit not
> having the 18/3.5 Zuiko.
>
> If this amounts to heresy, then brand me a heretic -- a happy
> heretic, one with a few kopeks left tied up in the babushka.  I'm
> still a Zuikoholic, but my jones for some of the more exotic stuff
> has been at least temporarily satisfied by a couple of Tamron
> fixes.
>
> Walt

I passed up on a like new Vivitar 17mm a while ago. Been regretting it ever
since. I can still get excited about some non-zuikos myself, especially when
the zuikos lenses are in the more expensive ranges.
My daughter will be working on the state side this summer, and coming home
(to Canada, eh!) on weekends. I'm thinking about getting her to bring me
back the Phoenix or Vivitar 19-35 fom B&H; likely be in late June or early
July.

On another note, a discussion about bears was going around recently. Well, I
was out yesterday, saw a really nice shiny black one, albeit just a small
one. But as usual, couldn't get close enough, so I didn't get a good chance
to shoot it with the OM2s w/Zuiko 135/2.8. It was probably about 100 yds.
away. Had another type of shooting gear along also, but passed on using it
(I guess I must be getting old and more mellow). Also saw a cow moose with
last years calf, but didn't get them on film either. They were really
shaggy, shedding the winter's coat I guess. Would have made a nice picure,
but again a bit too far and the light was getting low. I'm waiting for a
Kiron 80-200 coming from G. Reese, which is in the mail. It might have been
the answer if I had had it yesterday. But I find it really hard to reach out
for nice full frame pics of even the bigger wild animals. Might need a
300mm, but don't have the dollars yet.

Also, I had this email last evening from my 19 yr. old son , who took the
Olympus MJU w/2.8 with him. (he's the one I had asked here for advice about
what camera to send with a complete novice):
>Hi it is 10 pm, wednesday, i'm in orlando. i am
>leaving early friday morning for bolivia.  all is well
>i am learning lots.  if you can, send a few addresses
>of people who said they could pray.  a team going to
>russia didn't get the visas they needed(at least not
>yet).  i've only taken 2 pictures so far, so i should
>really take some more. it has been kinda warm here
>but not bad really, there has been a breeze.  we are
>sleeping in these tents and it actually got somewhat
>cold the last two nights.
>Nick

I got him to run a roll through before he left; then gave him 7 rolls of
36exp. Portra 400vc, and told him to buy more film if/when that was gone, so
he has a ways to go at 2 pics. But its a start. :-)
Wayne