Re: [OM] Re: Digital back again

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Digital back again
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:32:38 -0700
on 5/23/02 12:43 AM, Brian Swale at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Jim et al
>
> Jim Brokaw wrote
>
>> Olympus has clearly indicated that they don't see any way to continue the OM
>> line into digital. I'm sure they want to make up for blowing the opportunity
>> go autofocus OM back in the 1980's. The market requires enough
>> auto-electro-digitalo-computero- wonder features now that the OM lenses
>> wouldn't
>> support, that the only logical marketing decision is to abandon backward
>> compatibility. As a business decision a digital back for the OM series just
>> doesn't make sense. In 20 years we'll be able to buy the parts from an
>> electronic surplus shop for $50 and make our own, anyway... - --
>
> Or fix an OM lens-mount to the digi-body?
>
> Brian

I want to use the OM viewfinder and Zuiko wide-open aperture for focusing. I
think what you need to do is link the digi-back electronics to the databack
contacts or PC connection on the OM body. Focus, shutter, meter all the
same, except meter set to reflect the light sensitivity of the digital
sensor instead of film.

When the camera is triggered, the signal from the databack contact or PC
connection tells the digital sensor "OK, read the light falling on you now"
and then when the light stops the image data is written to the memory
device. The write signal might need to be manual, or automatically after 1
second or some set (adjustable) time from the trigger signal.

Advance OM to reset shutter. Unless the digital sensor (mounted at the film
plane) has the same surface reflectivity as 'real film' we will be unable to
use OTF metering or flash... But all this should be do-able once you have
the sensor... everything will be in a digital camera, just throw away
everything but the imaging systems.
--

Jim Brokaw