Re: [OM] moose

Subject: Re: [OM] moose
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 00:49:59 -0700 (PDT)
--- Wayne Culberson <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was out for a short drive in the woods again this
> evening, and saw two
> more moose, which were a little more cooperative
> than the ones I saw
> yesterday. They did stay around until I got a couple
> pictures. However, I
> was still limited to my longest lense right now,
> which is a 135/2.8, and
> still couldn't get close enough to fill the frame
> more than about 1/3 with
> the moose. Does anyone else here pursue photography
> of wild animals?
> Does anyone have any experience hand holding a 300mm
> lens?  I'm wondering if
> it is possible to get good sharp pictures with hand
> holding that length. A
> tripod or even a monopod is really not practical
> most of the time as they
> just aren't inclined to pose for long periods of
> time. They seem to be just
> slightly more patient than my kids were, which is
> about 3 or 4 seconds.
> Wayne
You might want to try a good quality 7 element 2X with
your 135 2.8, that would give you a 270 f5.6. If you
stop down 1 stop that will give you f8 to work with,
not fast but with a 400iso film you might get a 250th
in with hazy sun. The tokina 7 element 2X will pop up
on e-bug from time to time, usually goes for about $40
to $50 an Olympus 2XA will run about $125 used, at
that price,save your bucks for a 300 4.5 zuiko. I have
a Tamron 135 f2.5 with tamron 2X in adaptall, seems to
work OK if I don't go bigger than 8X10. John Robison