Re: [OM] The Planets

Subject: Re: [OM] The Planets
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 13:51:06 +0100
OM body on the back of a telescope is a very effective way to get good moon shots. Here's one I did with a 6 inch refractor, otherwise known as a 2140/14 lens:

http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/photo/photos/moon.jpg

I'd give the Celestron a go. You'll get a moon image 10mm across on film (Moon size on film is approximately (focal length)/100), which is enough to see masses of detail - craters, lava flows, mountains and valleys.

I really must use the 6900/11 'lens' they have at the University of London Observatory. Used it once, and although chromatic aberration is noticable (forgivable, I think, as it was built in 1901), with a monochrome filter and black and white film the results are remarkable. I took some Saturn pictures with it some years ago but unfortunately overdid the exposure.

Roger