Re: [OM] [OT] Scanner help?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Scanner help?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 15:51:42 -0500
Hi Scott,

At 07:47 AM 5/25/2002 -0800, Scott you wrote:
1. Is Provia F typically this grainless?

Yes

2. Could this grainlessness be contributing to the "soft" scan results?

If so, I would think it more a matter of perception (can't "focus" the grain, therefore it's out of focus), but you might be right.

3. Anyone have any tips for getting good scans of Provia?

John Lind may have the technical explanation. Is it some Fuji devious magic with dye? (Of course!) There is some suggestion that Kodak T-max technology mutes the sharpness of grain and thereby reduces the sharpness of the image (makes sense). E200, which I believe employs T-Max technology, seems to be a very un-edgy emulsion. Perhaps Provia F works the same.

I have experienced something similar to you, although the final result after print is very satisfactory to me. FWIW I have even had the same experience with Kodachrome 25! I now routinely do two USM treatments in my workflow (a la Bruce Fraser, Real World Photoshop). The first is very light: Amount = 140, radius=6, threshold=0. This basically does little more than harden up the edges a little bit that are softened in the course of the scan. Prior to printing I will do a more significant sharpening: Amount=200, radius=2.2, threshold=9.

In any case, I doubt that your scanner is working improperly.

HTH,
Joel W.