Re: [OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 21:30:48 -0500
Thanks for those that responded. The white specks are paper dust on the prints; did the scans in a hurry on a dirt cheap flatbed. Looked at negative density and it appears OK, but I don't have a densitomiter nor am I an expert at looking at B/W negatives. It means at least I was at least close.

I'm going to do something similar again in a week. I now have two rolls of TMax 3200 and Provia 1600, and plan to shoot one of each at EI1600. I don't plan on using any filtration with the Provia. Whatever lighting is there will be on the film. One of the reasons their light levels are down some is the use of colored "gels" on their lighting. Trying to balance the tungsten spots to daylight would likely be fruitless anyway. We'll see if two more stops of speed beyond Tri-X at EI400 helps.

The "proof of the pudding" will be with the Provia 1600. Looked at the specs on both. At EI1600, TMax 3200 has a diffuse rms granularity of 18. Even though Provia's diffuse rms granularity is 25, its 1.6:1 and 1000:1 numbers from the MTF curves look respectable given its ultra high speed at 40 and 100 lp/mm. Kodak's TMZ is similar with 1.6:1 and 1000:1 numbers of 40 and 125 lp/mm respectively. By comparison Provia 100F has 60 lp/mm and 140 lp/mm for the same contrast ratios.

Thanks,
-- John