Re: [OM] Orange/Yellow filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Orange/Yellow filters
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 09:40:00 -0500
At 01:13 5/27/02, Winsor Crosby wondered:
I wrote:

In general colored filters are used with B/W to provide tonal separation between one or more colors. Filter color is selected based on the colors for which separation is desired. It does require some thinking and some experience. Using a light yellow and doing portraits of people with blonde hair can make the hair appear too dark. Using a red and photographing a red barn can make the blue sky very dark, but the barn too pale. It takes some experimentation and experience to develop a skill for visualizing how various B/W filters will affect rendition of various colors on B/W film.

-- John

John,

Being a novice filter user something you said confused me. I understand why a red filter transmitting red light would make the barn too light, but why would a filter that transmits yellow make blonde hair dark especially when it lightens deciduous foliage which has a strong yellow component in the green?
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

You're right . . . it would further lighten already light blonde hair in a print. I was thinking about negative density for the yellow from having experienced it with Tri-X and reversal density with the red having experienced that with Scala 200X. Whatever color the filter is, it will make that more dense in the negative and less dense (lighter) in the print (and the chrome).

I gotta quit writing this stuff late at night.  :-)

BTW, a green is sometimes used for foliage separation against other colors. Also just started using a B+W 470 cyan (cyan = minus red) to simulate the high blue response of old orthochromatic film. Just ran a test of this in a friend's studio using some Scala 200X to see what it will do with skin tones . . . waiting now for the film to come back from the lab in Florida.

-- John