[OM] Single vignetting grades in Gary's tests

Subject: [OM] Single vignetting grades in Gary's tests
From: "Pete Prunskunas" <pyotr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 22:04:27 -0600
In Gary's tests - a most useful collection of data to say the least -
a few lenses had a single vignetting grade of B or C.  I could not
understand this, as most of his tests ran something like, "C at f2.0,
A- at f2.8, A thereafter."  I posted a question on this list and some-
one responded that Gary had said that this could be explained by
sample variation.  I thought this explanation was too simplistic to
be valid.  I could not believe that vignetting would be constant
throughout the range of apertures.  So I emailed the master himself.
Here is his reply:

"Early on in testing I only determined this grade for a lens at its
wide open aperture. In later testing I determined it at every click
stop until it was gone, or had stabilized. Feel free to post this, if
desired."

Now it all makes sense.  If a single grade is displayed, it represents
the worst case vignetting, at a wide open aperture.  Unfortunately
we cannot accurately extrapolate this data, but I think it is a safe
bet that the vignetting grade increases at least a little as the aperture
becomes smaller.

Pete