Re: [OM] Orange/Yellow filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Orange/Yellow filters
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 00:45:31 -0400
I can't believe I have the chutzpah to follow a Lind post but here goes.....
The warming filers can be used *as if* they are contrast enhancing filters
for black and white even though they are designed to target the color
difference between daylight and hot lights.

Using colored filters was a widely used trick of the pioneers of Fine Art
B&W photography.  It's not cheating if Edward Weston, Margaret Bourke-White
and that Ansel guy used 'em.

They say that the human brain (or eye?) has an affinity for the green-yellow
of new grass.  Supposedly the folks in bio think it's been a result of
natural selection, helping us to find plants that have water and can
therefore point us to drinking water.  Anyway, I've read that a yellow-green
(or is it green-yellow?) is said to produce the most natural skin tones in
black and white photos because it mimics the way we perceive tones.

Lama,
endevoring always, in the nerd tradition, to answer the question you asked
and bore you back to the stone age in the process......

One more thing?  If you find a #25 filter, grab it.  In addition to being
useful for dramatically darkening sky, it's a required tool for infrared
film.

From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Well . . . if they're true yellow and orange . . .
> K1, K2, X1, X2, G, etc. (Wratten # 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, etc.) .
. .