RE: [OM] Broken Meter

Subject: RE: [OM] Broken Meter
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 21:44:44 +1000
> Albert [mailto:olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> ...at least it's a mechanical camera, so I can still take
> pictures with it.. I guess it's sunny16 for me tomorrow...

Albert, I recently bought an old Olympus 35 RC rangefinder
and just ran a film through it without a battery - I just
guessed the exposures. Using the lattitude of print film,
almost all came out just fine. My only mistake was
underexposure of some shots which weren't "sunny" (just
indoors but next to a floor-to-ceiling window, and an
overcast day in the "shadow" of an awning). Even the
outdoor ones guessed for overcast conditions turned out
fine. The underexposed ones have that muddy look to
them, where the processor has tried their best to
compensate for my error.

...and I'm a definite meter-dependant photographer normally.

Print film and overexpose when unsure is what I'll do in
future (especially with those shadow shots). The *real*
photog's on this list can no doubt give some decent hints
and tips on judging exposure.

Cheers
Marc (who bought the OM1 for batteryless operation, so
can't complain about being meterless)
Sydney, Oz