Re: [OM] Another BG2 Question...

Subject: Re: [OM] Another BG2 Question...
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 16:24:35 -0700
Curt:

On the BG 2 the bracket clamp has a mounting pin.  The pin fits in a
channel of the handle assembly.  You should be able to tighten down the
mounting pin by turning it with your fingers.  You should be able to
adjust the length of the pin so that it clamps snugly to the handle when
you tighten down the bracket clamp.

If the bracket clamp does not turn easily, it is because the original
grease has turned to crud.  You may need to heat the assembly with a
blow dryer, clean out the old grease, and re-assemble.  Here is the info
Mark Dapoz sent to me when I had a problem turning the clamp bracket:

"When the grease gets that hard, don't try and force the parts apart!
Use a heat gun (or a big hair dryer) to get the area very warm.  The
grease will usually soften up enough to get the parts to separate with a
modest amount of force.  This is a very common problem with microscopes
since they may sit in a lab unused for years.  An Olympus microscope
tech showed me this trick when I was trying to service some microscope
parts.  It works incredibly well."

I think Mark has an exploded diagram of the BG 2, should you need to
take the handle apart.  It was an easy fix, as I recall.

HTH,

Bill Stanke