Re: [OM] Re: Today a good day for me, too! (sorta long reply)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Today a good day for me, too! (sorta long reply)
From: Michael Darling <cosmo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 15:35:27 -0400
You've read the situation correctly.  We're a student-run paper and recieve
no financial support from the University.  As far as i know all income comes
from advertisements, and this goes straight to the printing costs and
equipment for the office.

I could probably make an argument to change their policy, which is basically
posted on the wall for everyone to read.  There were no documents signed or
verbal agreements made. Considering that our photo staff consists of only two
photographers and _no acting photo editor_  they'd probably adjust the rule
in order to keep us happy.

It's something i might explore during the summer term when we're publishing
on a bi-weekly basis.

On Friday 31 May 2002 01:29 pm, Mike Veglia wrote:

> Hmm, IMO if you're working for a newspaper, or other publication, as a
> full time *paid* staff photographer it's one thing, but I'm assuming
> you're "volunteering" for the student newspaper for pleasure and to gain
> experience in photojournalism. Allowing the newspaper to steal your
> copyright under those conditions is, well, IMO you're allowing yourself
> to get hosed. What if one of those images the student newspaper gets
> attention from a paying client. As far as I'm concerned, unless you
> signed a contract that stipulates otherwise (which would be ill
> advised), you own the copyright, not the university. To learn "how it
> works" I suggest a visit to www.editorialphoto.com. There is an
> education outreach program stemming from there to educate the business
> side of photography associated with this group.

____
Mike Darling
Philadelphia, PA