Re: [OM] I got me an OM-2n

Subject: Re: [OM] I got me an OM-2n
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 14:01:52 -0700
Well, in all those years, the OM-1 broke once and the OM-2n never faltered - and it was the one that got by far the most use. It needs new foam after all these years, but everything else works. The OM-1 not only needs new back foam, but the prism foam created a 'Creature From the Black Lagoon' effect in the viewfinder. The prism is cleaned up, but hasn't gone back in the camera yet. The OM-2n has been more reliable and less trouble than the OM-1.

The OM-1 break was fairly serious, as it was my only body then and I was leaving for a couple of weeks in Mexico the next day. The mirror would not return after firing the shutter. I found that I could push down on the aperture lever to reset it and the mirror after each shot - verrry inconvienient. Fortunately, the official repair station in Mexico City (same place for all major Japanese brands) was able to repair it. After the counter girl took it too the Japanese tech in the white lab coat with all the cool equipment in the glass walled room, she said they could fix it, but it would be 'muy caro', very expensive. It turned out to be cheap, about a quarter of what I expect it would have cost in the States, and when I asked really nice, explaining how I was leaving for Oxaca in 2 days, they had it ready the next day!!

Moose

john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I agree with all those sentiments, (having used OM's since 1976) but
would probably use the OM-1 as the main camera and the OM-2n if my
life depended on them!

Having spent a lifetime with electronics perhaps I'm paranoid!