Re: [OM] lens and film contrast

Subject: Re: [OM] lens and film contrast
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 11:57:30 +0800
I have to disagree here, as sometimes I will do -  provide something that I
guess without true evident:

- A film is designed to match some "standard contrast" lens-camera system.
- Lens can be too contrast as the well known Ni*on system did in the pass.
- Check the OM system lens handbook, Olympus do know how to increase the
contrast of a lens such as paint black the edge of the lens element. It is
an easy job but they didn't do for every lens element or lens.
- The mirror housing of the OM cameras are not totally black in color, which
suppose to give some reflection to reduce the contrast. I remember the Hass
503CX was said to have special black paint inside the camera to increase
contrast. This can be easily done but they have not implement to every
camera. I also heard from a friend he said some of his old Ca*on provide
different result with different camera body and the same lens. I didn't
believe at the beginning but I start to think it could happen if they have
different reflection mirror box.
- You may not be able to find a good media to reduce the contrast level to
what you wanted and it always introduce other effect such as flare and
reduced resolution.
- The Zuiko 180/2.8 and 35-70/3.6 are two typical samples which provide very
high resolution and not too high contrast, that is what I wanted. The Zuiko
28/2 is a typical sample provide high contrast/sharpness with not too high
resolution. The 50/2 is also a lens provide very high contrast/sharpness but
not pleasing color where the 50/3.5 do a much better job in this area. In my
experience a super high contrast lens is certainly not good for most
situation and I have not found a good contrast reduction filter yet.

My two cents.

C.H.Ling