[OM] contrast

Subject: [OM] contrast
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 04:48:41 -0700
"In comparing shots of the same subjects (one specific red flower, same
lens -- Zuiko 100/2 ) taken with Kodachrome 64 and Fuji Reala, I noticed
that the  Kodachrome gave a greater tonal range (more contrast)."

> Hold the phone! Isn't that like sweet and sour? More contrast means LESS
> tonal range, as the tones are compressed to achieve the higher contrast.

Both these statements are partly or fully incorrect.

As an EE, I tend to think of contrast in terms of gamma -- the film's
development curve. The longer the film is developed, the steeper the curve,
and the more "abruptly" tones move from dark to light. Higher gamma -->
higher contrast.

This is not, however, how most photographers view contrast.

One view considers the material's tonal scale. The shorter it is, the less
highlight and/or shadow detail can be simultaneously captured, and the more
"contrasty" the material is considered.

The other view considers the tonal range of the negative. If you overdevelop
a normally exposed negative, the tonal range from highlight to shadow will
be too wide to print directly on paper of a "normal" contrast grade, because
the negative has too much "contrast."