RE: [OM] Re: State of Digital Photography (long)

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: State of Digital Photography (long)
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:49:13 -0700
In a message dated 6/19/2002 Bill Clark writes:

<< Most cameras are plastic junk now, which is too bad.  But they are only
feeding a
marketplace that wants this crummy stuff. >>

Agreed, even some really expensive ones. Supposedly the new Nikon D100 is
pretty much all plastic (don't know, haven't handled one myself). That said,
the E-10/20 (shutter MTBF rumors aside) appears to be quite a durable
camera. The only areas I think is a little flimsy is the plastic memory card
door. However, a full time CART photographer (I think she shoots for LAT)
shoots with an E-10 that is simply bashed looking--brassing is an
understatement. Still working fine. On the dpreview forum I have heard of
two different E-10/20 cameras that were dropped into creeks that dried out
and worked afterwards. Far from "plastic junk" and it is an Olympus. Still,
with the rates Olympus Service charges to work on them they will likely be
"throw away" cameras I fear. There are photos of an E-10 cut in half
floating around (I may even have one...not sure) and the construction looks
impressive.

I admit, I still handle mine with "kid gloves" moreso than I do my OMs, but
I don't shoot with it living in fear of it falling apart or failing.

This is not a case of "State of Digital Photography" rather a case of a
disposable society. As a consumer electronic repair technician I have
watched virtually every major purchase CE piece of equipment become
disposable, with the exception of ultra high end audio gear and high priced
TVs. It ain't just digital cameras that are throw away. Years ago a very
funny Sony Factory Service Trainer would explain to us techs in training,
almost apologetically, that "the consumer today wants crap" and thus prices
must come down and equipment must become throw away. At the time he said
this I was taking my first Betamax classes learning to work on first
generation consumer Betamax VCRs that cost in excess of a grand. The
consumer has gotten exactly what they were perceived to want, maximum bang
for the buck right out of the box at a disposable price point. So it goes...
(With that said, I think I'll go shoot a bunch of Provia F through my old
antique OMs this weekend <g>).

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com