RE: [OM] slide viewer for flatbed scanners

Subject: RE: [OM] slide viewer for flatbed scanners
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:11:33 -0600
> I also looked at the link about using florescent flashlights and decided
> I could earn enough to buy a cheap flatbed with transparency adapter
> built in in less time and effort that it looked like it would take to
> make that work..

 Yes, but where's the _fun_ in just buying something? I've "spent" way more
time building some things than I would have on buying the equivalent new,
but it's the tinkering that attracts me here, rather than the end result.

 I suspect with something like this where the home-made version is going to
be so obviously inferior to the real thing, though, it's probably not a
useful economy -- I've ended up spending time making stuff and even then
buying something because the thing I made wasn't up to par. Still, it's a
learning experience, I guess.

 OM-content: then there's the times when I make something which turns out to
be a waste of time in the first place -- for instance, the print washer I
made, only to discover afterwards that RC prints only need a few minutes
washing anyway, and all I was doing was making the final result that much
more likely to curl..

 -- dan