[OM] AE with the OM-2S

Subject: [OM] AE with the OM-2S
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:35:49 EDT
Jim Brokaw wrote:
Slide film -- little latitude for contrasty light situation.
>snip

Yeah, didn't even consider that factor.  Photography was really on the back
burner of my mind (I was all goo goo over the piping...).  The ONE shot I
really wanted to turn out, of a wee 3 yr. old piper, son of one of the
judges, marching around the field (2 times!  Never looked up... just "played"
his little toy pipes the whole time, to the delight of the crowd), isn't so
hot, as he was in shade when he passed us, so is a bit dark.  The AE got the
rest of the field, in bright sun, perfect, darn it.  And he was MOVING,
marching right along with giant steps, like a good piper!  No time to mess
with spot metering, unless I'd had the presence of mind to do it beforehand,
which I didn't.  And I didn't see him coming 'round the 2nd pass, until it
was too late.  He'll still be cute next year.  Hope he returns.  I'll be
ready for him next time.

I have K64 already loaded in the camera for tomorrow's Tacoma Highland Games.
 Looks to be a cloudless bright sunny day.  I have no idea how much, if any,
shade there might be.  But I'll certainly be paying full attention to any
contrast situations tomorrow.  And just might do the one shot in manual, one
in AE routine, to see what results.  I trust the camera completely.  Don't
trust my own skills.  When I have time, I usually bracket all over the place,
and get a good shot.  I should really take the time to do the recording of
all details of each shot -- just don't to take my attention away from the
subject when around pipe bands.

And yeah, I need to review the manual again tonight re: AE and program.  I'd
like to experiment with that some.  Limiting the range within those modes,
etc. to force "action" or "depth of field" control.

Might just switch to print film for next year, for the greater latitude,
'cause I know I'll still be all wrapped up in the piping, not the
photography.

Rich